Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mi encuentro con Rafa

It has been 5 months since I saw Rafa, time surely flies. Before you start conjuring theories about what iam talking, let me explain. The story dates back to january 1st 2007. I was in India, saying adios to two of my lovely friends. I was leaving to USA for my masters in 3 days. I told one of them “Meghu whether I finish my masters or not, I am not coming back without seeing US Open (Tennis)”. My poor friend was dumbstruck; she was scared where I would spend my time exploring ways to see US Open than study. I said ,“Joking Meghu I won’t do that but I will see US Open and I will see Rafa” . I was determined, undoubtedly confident but never knew when.


Came year 2010, I thought my time had finally come. I started requesting, pestering, annoying; you can give whatever name you please, to convince my friends to accompany me to New York if not US Open. None were insane to spend so much money on my fantasy. The game came and went; I was sitting in Arizona cheering for my icon while he walked away with the cup, I will never forgive myself for that. Then came 2011 and I asked my friends again but all in vain. This time I wasn’t giving up and decided to go alone. I researched about everything from fraudulent sites to best viewing location while frantically searching for tickets. Many were sold and most of what was left, could only be availed as pairs or more. I was surely fighting the unseen force which seemed equally determined in abstaining me. I had to win of course. Now a new problem cropped up; 100$ ticket or 1500$ ticket, thankfully I couldn’t afford anything above that. My mind had transformed into a tennis ball between the two price courts. 1500 seemed too little for Rafa, I said Vamos.

I sat glued to the television set while Rafa smashed Murray all over the court.Murray had managed to clinch the 3rd set. My pulses were rising, I was thinking aloud “iam not paying 1500 to see murray”, unfortunately amidst the 4th set I had to leave for my parlor appointment. Did I have to take an appointment that day only??? Pheww….. but I had to look amazing for the finals ( you are thinking ya right as if she going to propose Rafa). I had my poor friend providing match updates over the phone, yes I do pity my friends. Rafa was through; my investment wasn’t going down the drain. It didn’t end there, next was the semifinal between fedex & djoker. When the match was 2 sets in favor of fedex I was thinking again “ Iam not paying 1500 to see Fedex play (sorry to fedex fans but I can’t help)”. I was blessed there too, it was nadal vs djoker and finally my time had indeed arrived.

After returning from a month long trip to Oregon in the night, I had to board flight to La Guardia the next morning. Thanks to rain the match was rescheduled leaving a hole in my pocket. After a flight across the entire nation I finally landed in La Guardia. That didn’t even remotely resemble the new York I visited. Throughout my cab journey, I was nervously looking out hoping to see a sophisticated NYC. My journey ended and my horrors had come true. I was to stay in this hotel in a filthy neighborhood, “but the reviews said otherwise” i was thinking. I locked myself up in the room until it was time to leave the next day morning.

The match was to start at 2pm and I was in Arthur Ashe by 11am. I couldn’t believe I had made it there, it felt like a dream. I walked around the park like a kid in Disney land, constantly looking at my watch, waiting when it will be time to see him. Thanks to my kindle I killed time reading how Hitler came to power and then we were allowed inside the premises of Artur Ashe. The whole place was swarming with people, happy to know I was not the only tennis fanatic. There was chain of shops selling souvenirs made after the popular tennis stars. I managed to get a decently fitting cap with Rafa’s mascot on it. Like the walk of fame was the wall of fame which carried all the names of players who had participated in the tournament, with one place empty and I knew then who would fill it.

Finally I went into the arena and looked for my seat. My efforts weren’t wasted; I had one of the best viewing seats. Many who joined me were jealous of my location and I was proud about myself. People came and went, the formalities were conducted, two kids singing but I was waiting for the other two. I was clicking away trying to capture every moment I possibly could. The stadium began to fill up slowly and within no time was completely occupied. The stadium ruptured with applause AND I saw him, I saw him “OMG iam seeing him in flesh here now”, gives me goose bumps even today. My dream was fulfilled, I had finally seen Rafa, I only wish I could shout “quieres casarte conmigo Rafa?” crowd was too loud for me to be heard. Initially, I struggled, I was so used to the 34”view, my eyes were refusing to adapt to the live view. It was weird, it was different, was this what I was seeing all these years on a small box in my living room, it was appalling. I saw Rafa, play his fore arm swings, his slices, his midair fist punches, his serves and how can I forget, girls!!!!! his body was worth dying for . It was enthralling to be a part of the huge crowd, cheering when their player won a point, encouraging him and booing when he lost a point. There was someone’s passion, someone’s prayers, someone’s disappointment and someone’s cheer, it was a whole big emotional potion brewing there. The pin drop silence despite the thousands just made me realize, how serious the game was, how grave were the points being lost or won, not only for the players but for the spectators too. They were there for the passion of the game and wanted to see an epic in the game of tennis. It was truly said; the roman amphitheater had come alive, with the two gladiators fighting each other, fighting like their life depended on it.

For all the fun and excitement I was let down at last by none other than my hero, my idol. Rafa had lost. He had gone down without a fight. I felt let down, wanted to leave before I saw the cup in wrong hands but I couldn’t, I couldn’t miss even those few minutes of glimpse that I could get of Rafa, I knew I may never see him again……



This is how i saw Rafa, in the US open finals of 2011.Thanks to my friends who rekindled the zeal in me to account my entire experience of US Open which had died down once I left the Arthur Ashe. Their Rafa oriented gifts invoked me to finally write this in the middle of the night on a weekday.

No comments: